A little further above Gorgopotamos, within the shadow of towering, century old ancient trees, is the Holy Church Transfiguration of the Saviour which was built in 1963. It was built on the site of ruins of an older Byzantine temple from the 11th century.
According to tradition the old temple was the largest monastery of Fthiotida, with 300 monks and many acres of land which played an important role during the Ottoman domination. In order not to fall into the hands of the Turks, the Abbot at the time set fire to the ammunition store and burnt to death with all the Monks.
Later, the Monastery was rebuilt until it was destroyed by Ottomans decree. In 1833, the Abbot was a Chief monk Theodosius and there were 3 monks in the monastery and 4 servants. Many of the finds are located in the surrounding area of the Monastery and some are kept in Lamia Archaeological Museum.
One of the last Archimandrites of the Monastery was Agapitos Panayiotis, 1935-1993.
In the landscaped surrounding area, the visitor can enjoy something to eat whilst relaxing. The monastery celebrates its name day on August 6th, the day of the Gorgopotamos feast.