Opposite the modern monument of Leonidas, there is a low hill, which has been identified with Kolonos, where the final phase of the Battle of Thermopylae took place.
The shape of Kolonos hill where the final phase of the Battle of 480 BC took place has radically changed from ancient times to present day, due to the construction of successive defence works in the area at different times, which confirms its importance as a strategic defence point.
The small excavation investigation of 1939 on the above hill yielded a large number of iron and copper spokes and arrows from the 5th c. BC, many of which belong to Oriental types.
According to the story of Herod, victims of the Battle of Thermopylae were buried here and in their honour stone lions and three inscribed monuments were erected.
Today, the top of the hill is decorated with a replica of its epigram Simonides of Ceio.