The Metropolitan Church of Fthiotida is located in the heart of Lamia town centre. It is considered a Historical Ecclesiastical Monument, not so much in terms of antiquity, but in terms of the historical presence and preservation of heirlooms, which are related to the entire Metropolis of Fthiotida and can be described as the Metropolitan Church of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary.
This temple is the centre and the heart of the Sacred Metropolis of Fthiotida and lived through all the great Ecclesiastical, social, political, spiritual and national events of the region. It is a three-aisled basilica with a dome, with neoclassical characteristics, with an entrance vestibule and a bell tower, founded in 1861 by the Metropolitan of Fthiotida Kallinikos Kastorhis (1852-1877) and was reopened in 1915 by the Metropolitan of Fthiotida Iakovos Papaioannou (1914-1932).
In his collection of archives there are many icons of the 19th century and interesting books, which refer to life in Lamia and its social events. In 1985, after the damage it suffered during the 1981 earthquake, it was renovated and today is the jewel of Lamia. Inside it is decorated with fine floor mosaics and two of the pilgrims of Christ and Virgin Mary, works of Theodoros Moris. The icon screen, the Arc hieratic throne, clergy stalls behind the altar, the bell tower, the icon stands, the gospel book stand and the stalls are all wood-carved except for the pulpit, which is made of marble and was preserved for historical reasons, since the then preacher of Fthiotida Metropolitan Saint Nektarios Kefalas (1893) had preached there many times. The sacred icons of Agia Paraskevi of the pilgrimage and of the Annunciation are very old, coming from another church in the area. The Temple is registered and was narrated by the iconographer Nikolaos Rizo.