The Fthiotida Folklore Museum was founded in 1984 thanks to the long-standing efforts of the Lamia Women's Association of Landscape and Culture, which was already established since 1976, aware of the need to salvage data that captured life in the pre-industrial society and was threatened to be lost by everything fading into oblivion that represented a traditional organized society. The result of their effort was to collect the material and then to donate the collections gathered in the Municipality of Lamia in order to establish an organization for the means of identification, study, the protection and promotion of material evidence of the traditional culture of Lamia and of the surrounding area of Roumeli.
Initially, the museum was housed in the old municipal baths, on Achilles Street, until the continuing increase of the collection and the new museological data required the creation of a new space.
Today, the museum is housed in a newly-built privately owned building, in the heart of the town, on Kalyva - Bakoyanni Street, opposite the Athanasios Diakos' Cenotaph in People's Square and is a public department of Lamia Municipality.
The subject sections which are displayed on A and B exhibition floor show signs of Industrial Production - Professions, Agricultural and Livestock Production, Clothing, Jewellery, Woven goods, Home and Utensils.
The museum houses about 1600 objects, which most of them come from bearer donations and local residents of the area. On C, the third floor, the conference room has a small library of folklore-historical content. In the context of folkloric research, the museum has undertaken and carried out the publication of various books to date, such as: “Traditional Recipes of Roumeli”, “Folklore of Fthiotida”, “Greek traditional flavours of Lamia” and others.