The first book collection began in 1926 with 2000 volumes from the library of the Gymnasium of Ermoupolis, the library of j. Rota and Bishop of the Cyclades Anthimos Komninos as well as thousands of titles donated by the poet, lyricist and writer Manos Eleftheriou.
A collection that has reached approximately 45,000 volumes including the books Argonautica of 1521, Onomastikon of Polydeykous of 1608, Ioustinianai and collections from the press of Syros from the previous century.
The library is housed on the ground floor of a beautiful neoclassical building of 1863 on Miaouli square which also hosts the cultural center of Ermoupolis. In the area of the public library various cultural events worth attending are organized. The busts of Emanuel Roidis, Georgios Souris, Ritas Mpoumi-Pappa, Dimitris Vikelas and Timoleon Ambelas adorn the small garden in front of the public library.