With a long maritime tradition the island of Syros could not fail to be the central base of the merchant shipping.
The Merchant Marine Academy of Syros was founded about 50 years ago as a public school for merchant marine Captains with more than 1500 graduates who traveled to the ends of the earth while carrying along the distinctive elements from our history and culture. Over the years, the degree earned from this school began to be recognized by the industry as a special asset that could earn the respect of seafarers worldwide.
The school succeeds in enhancing the power of merchant shipping to the shipping centers of the Cyclades, the Central and South Aegean and slowly to the entire Greek nation just like Herodotus has foreseen: “we have land and a home, when we have ships at sea “.
The neoclassical and imposing marble building of the Merchant Marine Academy on the edge of the harbor of Syros is a building of great historical and architectural importance that currently hosts one of the finest maritime training Schools in the country. Even its position at the area of Kymata offering exceptional views of Tinos and Mykonos has symbolic importance as it symbolizes the vast travels into the endless blue horizons.