The Damasta Monastery, dedicated to the Birth of the Virgin Mary, is located at Damasta, on the slopes of Kallidromos at a height of 580 m, in an enchanting environment and is female. Its early history is unknown. The Catholic Church is of the 11th century with icons dating back to 1818.
An inscription, located above the inner porch of the central gate, informs the visitor that the church had been built by Captain Ioannis Dyovouniotis. The monastery has suffered a lot of damage with the worst recorded in 1821, when it was burned by the Turks. It was then that precious heirlooms and its library were destroyed. The reconstruction of the Monastery was due to voluntary contributions and offerings of devout Christians. Its celebratory name day is on the 8th of September. One version believes the name “Damasta” came from the city of Damascus, from where, as some believe that the Holy icon of the Virgin Mary came from.